Dating back to 1668, Monmouth Beach was first purchased by Eliakim Wardell. In 1842, Wardell’s great grandson Henry sold one of the lots to the U.S. Life Saving Service and in 1865 sold the rest to Arthur V. Conover. Mr. Conover and other investors founded the Monmouth Beach Association in 1871. Oceanfront homes were built and the community began to thrive. Many of the original 19th century Victorian homes still exist alongside new contemporary properties, making Monmouth Beach an idyllic seaside resort. Monmouth Beach is also home to a public library containing almost 50,000 books, and a bathing pavilion which offers pool and private-beach access for both residents and non-residents.