Founded in 1888, Interlaken was originally a 364-acre farm. In 1890, the Interlaken Land Development Company was created and plans for a residential community began. Throughout its history, Interlaken remained what it still is today — a quiet community of approximately 400 families. Many of the present homes were built in the early to mid 1900’s by artists, painters, sculptors, and writers who found the idyllic community, between the lakes, to be the perfect setting for their creative spirits. Surrounded by Deal Lake, Interlaken is an ideal and tranquil spot, but also is within walking distance to the beaches, local shopping, and transportation.
Spotlight on: Interlaken!
Allenhurst, Interlaken, Deal, and Loch Arbor are four very small towns just north of Asbury Park. Driving down the wide, tree-lined streets you find the pace is a little slower than other towns on the Jersey Shore.
Some Reasons to Love Interlaken:
- You won’t find condos or a raucus night life. What you will find are great people with a strong sense of community. And the area’s wealth, carefully policed streets and historical roots give residents a chance to take life a little easier.
- Bonuses of these gorgeous towns include uncrowded beaches, wide streets for bike-riding, active garden clubs, and the beautiful Deal Lake for fishing and canoeing.
- Take a stroll down Main Street and you’ll find a gourmet bakery, restaurants, a spa, and antique shops.
- The train rolls right into the open train station and everyone is in walking distance to home or their vacation rental.
- The towns really come alive during the summer months, when the Deal Casino and Conover Pavilion become the centers of activity.